The DNS Lookup Scout tests both:
- The availability and health of DNS servers.
- Whether the response of a query for a selected domain brings back the desired result.
To create a DNS Lookup Scout:
- Under Type, select DNS Lookup from the dropdown.
- Enter a Hostname.
- Give your scout a descriptive Name that you and others can identify in reports.
- Under Run Every, define how often you run the scout by dragging the scale to an interval of minutes. The options are 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 15, 30 and 60 minutes.
- Optionally click Show additional parameters to define the following:
- DNS Server. Specify which DNS server to use for the query. If you don't enter a value, the test uses the default DNS server of the Hive running this DNS Lookup Scout.
- Expected IP Response. Enter the IP address that determines if the test is successful or not. If the query responds with the provided IP address, the test is successful.
If the query responds with a different IP address, the test failed.
- Type. Choose the query type A or MX.
- Timeout. Enter an amount of time in milliseconds to wait to complete the test.